Six Ways to Enjoy Style During the Holidays While Taking a Break
The holidays are a lot (a lot of shopping, traveling, food, family, and booze, to be specific). It’s a whole bunch of preparation for a few days to get together with loved ones and make it a magical time. ‘Tis the season.
As each person’s traditions – or lack thereof – are different, I’d like to share with you the true gift of the holidays: Christmas fashion.
In between slugs of eggnog or trying to get away from Uncle Jimmy who won’t stop talking politics, take some time for you and slip away. Here’s a few ways you can enjoy the season without hurting anybody.
1. Listen to Mariah Carey “Merry Christmas” album. What’s not to love? It’s a mix of beloved classics and iconic, original songs like, “All I want for Christmas is You,” on red vinyl. Yep. The record is the same red as her festive, yet sexy dress on the cover art. No one does Christmas like Mariah.
2. Need a shorter break? Why not YouTube the “Mean Girls” scene where they dance to “Jingle Bell Rock” wearing sexy Santa costumes, reminiscent of Mariah’s cover art above. Nothing like high school girls gyrating to make you reluctantly laugh at how we can get carried away during the holidays. And perhaps question the overt sexualization of youth.
3. If you have a couple hours to kill and want to make spirits bright with spirits – I’m talking about booze – why not turn “Love Actually” into a drinking game? It’s easy. Grab a beverage of choice and every time you see a turtleneck on screen, bottoms up.
4. If there are kids around may I suggest watching “Elf” for you and yours? Will Ferrell’s costumes are elf-tastically delightful. You can get crafty and make your own pointed elf hat should you be up to it. Need help? Pinterest to the rescue. You’ll be looking like workers from the North Pole in no time.
5. Let's say you’re looking to watch a dysfunctional family – others than yours – may I suggest “The Family Stone.” Pay attention to Dermot Mulroney’s character slowly unravel. You can watch him go from dapper corporate suits to schlepy sweats and a hoodie. His sartorial choices make sense as he has a mid life crisis during the duration of the movie. Feel free to don a suit or a pair of sweats and show your solidarity.
6. There’s always “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” if you want to be transported away to another world. The newer version with Jim Carrey is a makeup artist and costume department’s admirers dream. Not only can you enjoy the detail, you can also appreciate the morphing that had to take place before they started to film everyday. You can, too, watch the subtle racial discrimination that underscores the movie. Wah wah wah. If you’re lucky, after watching this modernized classic, your shrunken heart may grow a few sizes too.
Whatever you choose to do this holiday season, enjoy the time. It’s been a gnarly 2016 and 2017 is unknown. Be kind, tolerant - and hopefully - accepting of one another. Remember, 'tis the season to give, not to receive. That is unless you receive a tacky Christmas sweater. I hope you all get one of those gems.